Schedule and Location

Our group meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the Nokomis Fire Station. From Sarasota or North, proceed a few blocks south of Albee Road on US 41 (past Matthews-Currie Ford) to Pavonia Road. Turn right (West, toward the bay) at the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. From the south on US 41, we are two blocks north of Dona Bay. Turn left onto Pavonia Road at the flashing yellow caution light. At the Fire Station, drive to the fire hall's far end or west side; PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOORS! We gather in the training room at the far end of the complex for a meet and greet at 6:00 pm but call the Meeting to order at 6:30 pm and take a Ten-minute break at around 7:50 pm. Meeting Adjourns: 9:00 pm

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Out of the Dark & Into the Light? I think.

Hello All

I have returned to the halls of communication, I think. I hope you all received the Comcast notice that my new email address is: amberfawn@comcast.net

I chose a name that was in no way similar to the old shaley1112 I've used for ten years. Not taking any chances on just what keystroke triggered the block to go up. I've also kept my 'free' Yahoo account and may consider using that for personal mails. If you happen to receive an email from: sucarha@yahoo.com that will be me. I do like the email program provided by Yahoo best of all. That was the one advantage to using Verizon; they used the Yahoo mail format. I'm sure Comcast is just as good but it's different and my brain can't change habits too easily anymore. I know a lot of folks use the Outlook Express mail program but I know nothing about that either. I've never activated it.

Want to thank Russ, yet again, for taking the reins while I was in my sick bed. I understand the meeting went well and there was a large turnout despite the cold weather. All the better that I kept my nasty little bug at home. Want to congratulate Russ, too, on the news that Infinity Publishing, has indeed received his files and it won't be long before we have a new adventure in one of Russ's excellent mysteries. I also recommended him to edit and teach for a workshop program for mystery writers being done by the FWA Group in St. Pete. They asked me to do it and I couldn't think of anyone better to guide a novice mystery writer. Russ was asked and accepted the PAYING postition. Not often that we get a stipend from the FWA activities as it's solely run by volunteers. Good for you, Russ! I hope you enjoy it.

Now onward and upward. We started having two meetings a month to accomodate those who wanted to read and be critiqued. I'm happy to say that everyone is enjoying all the enthusiastic readings. Some like the open format and others preferred the smaller groups in order that more have a turn since we can't seem to abide by the five minute time limit. However, the group is also about learning and discussing problems all writers will sooner or later face. If you want it to be all about reading, we need to encourage Steve Choby to actively pursue setting up a storytelling session and running it according to time limits. I have also been asked to do my "Attitudes on Editing" workshop by those who wish to learn some more about the rules and regs. Not that I'm always good about following them myself when writing, but I do know what they are. I'm more geared to 'style' for what it is being written.

This is a rather short presentation geared to questions and answers and input from the group. I've decided to do it this week at the General Meeting. It takes only an hour or so including the questions and answers period, depending on the participation.

After break, those who wish to have a reading session can do so. A couple of people have already requested a spot - Irv Newman and Sharon Baker. I missed the readings by Rod and Bart so would like to hear from them again. If you'd just bring me a copy of what you read, I'd enjoy it that way, too. I just got the good feedback on the content.

I've also heard from a couple of our members that have been gone a while. Gaile Harpin and Barbara Parker are planning to return this week. We should have another good meeting to look forward to. Oh, and whatever happened to our suggestion box?? That was a great idea that never was followed through much. With a new year looking at us, let us hear your ideas and suggestions! I know Peter has one as he emailed me about it.

Look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday. Now I will get back to muddling through all my emails. Comcast transferred all my stored mails over, which was wonderful, but not in their folders and these are the days when your email is NOT stored on your own hard drive. I'm looking at 1945 emails that are showing up as NEW. I have to go through each one and remake the file folders. It brought to my attention the IMPORTANCE of the subject line!! When replying to a mail off a mail we all need to get in the habit of making at least a slight change in the subject line!! It's overwhelming to see 20 or 25 mails ALL with the exact same subject line. I have absolutely no idea of order or date until I open them up. I guess we all should always plan for the day when we may be faced with switching or recovering data.

Susan