Schedule and Location

Our group meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the Nokomis Fire Station. From Sarasota or North, proceed a few blocks south of Albee Road on US 41 (past Matthews-Currie Ford) to Pavonia Road. Turn right (West, toward the bay) at the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. From the south on US 41, we are two blocks north of Dona Bay. Turn left onto Pavonia Road at the flashing yellow caution light. At the Fire Station, drive to the fire hall's far end or west side; PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOORS! We gather in the training room at the far end of the complex for a meet and greet at 6:00 pm but call the Meeting to order at 6:30 pm and take a Ten-minute break at around 7:50 pm. Meeting Adjourns: 9:00 pm

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

October is Upon Us!

Hi Everyone - Coming to you from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Russ and myself attended the Infinity Publishing Gathering of Authors Conference in Valley Forge outside of Philadelphia and had a busy and informative weekend. I was able to reconnect with old friends and made some new ones. Russ went on to his brother's but was to return to Sarasota today, so he will be present at the first meeting of October next Wednesday. I came on over to Harrisburg and will spend a few weeks here with my 'now returned from the road' kids and granpup. My son and I sit and lament over our incredible experiences in Alaska and he, too, is having a time adjusting to the 'rut' of staying in one place. That ol' wanderlust gets in your veins if you're one that tends that way. :) Daughter-in-law feels rather content back in her nest, but says she'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I do have a couple of announcements to make regarding the October meetings: Ed Ellis has graciously offered to take the leader's chair for both the reading meeting, assisted by Russ and the general meeting, assisted by Jim Kelly. Jim has arranged for and had confirmed, the speaker for the 20th. Ryan Van Cleve will present his workshop on writing memoirs. Jim can fill you in more at the reader's meeting. I know this is an area of interest for many of you. Regardless, if you are writing a memoir or not, the information will be valuable.

I want to thank Ed, Jim and of course, Russ, for keeping our craft afloat in my absense. I also heard rumors of a sub-group forming for more extensive critique work, presently being thought out by Kerri and Rod. That's great news! Perhaps one of them will have some details to report at the next meeting. I want to thank all of you for the interest and response to some structural reorganization. Ideas are welcome! Peter, too, informed me of some information he will be sharing next week.

I also have a correction to make. I had previously announced a poetry event that Kris, Jim and me would be attending on November 15 for Rich McKee's Creative Writing course. The corrected school name is the State College of Florida, and it's the Venice Campus. I believe I errantly called it Central Florida University and Rich spotted it. My apologies to Rich, but the event is as was announced! :) The three of us are looking forward to it!

I am accessible by email if anyone has a question or a comment and I would appreciate a recap of the next meeting if one is so inclined to send it to me.

Thanks all . . . You're a Great Group and I'm proud of all of you!!

Susan