Schedule and Location

Welcome to the Sarasota Writers Group Blog. Meetings are held the first and third Wednesday of the month at the Nokomis Fire Station, located just a few blocks south of Albee Road (where Matthews-Currie Ford is located) at Pavonia Road. We are on the west, or bay side, of U.S. 41, by the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. If you are coming from the south on US 41, we are just north of Dona Bay. Turn on Pavonia and pull to the far end, or west side, of the firehall. Please do not block the fire doors! We meet in the training room on the far side of the complex. Gathering time: 6:00 pm Meeting called to order: 6:30 pm Ten minute break: 7:50 pm Meeting Finishes at 9:00 pm

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Our Loss

On Wednesday, November 7th, 2012, at our first meeting of November, our centenarian and prolific contributor, Mr. Ed Lyman, was absent.  Ed rarely misses a meeting, so we read one of his two articles posted in the current Pepper Tree Literary Magazine for him.  We present it here with permission from Julie Ann Howell, Publisher of Pepper Tree Magazine.

Looking Forward

by:  Ed Lyman

Many people, well actually a few, have asked me what my goals are as a young writer.  When I ask myself the same question, the answer is clear and in sharp focus.  Simply stated, I look forward to that day when:

My stories will be found in the lunch boxes of every worker in America.

Likewise, they will be in the lunch boxes of every child still in school, next to their peanut butter sandwiches, with duplicate copies in their backpacks.

My stories will be in the duffel bags of every person in the Armed Forces, here and abroad, alongside their other "duffel"

And finally, I foresee major hotel chains, throughout our country, putting copies of my work in every night table for bedtime reading.

While my goals are being reached, I am more than pleased to appear in the Pepper Tree

*******************************************************************************************************
 
Our friend, centenarian, and prolific contributor, Mr. Ed Lyman, passed away in his sleep November 6th, 2012.  

The service is Thursday, November 15th at 3:30 p.m. in the auditorium at Jacaranda Trace, 3600 William Penn Way, Venice, FL.

Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to one of the following organizations:

1.     All Faiths Food Bank
8171 Blaikie Court
Sarasota, FL 34240

2.     St. Francis Animal Rescue of Venice
1925 South Tamiami Trail
      Sarasota, FL 34293

3.     Hospital Volunteers of Venice
540 The Rialto
            Venice, FL 34285




George

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:16 AM

    Hello Everyone! My name is Charla Burchett. I was Ed Lyman's attorney and friend. Ed passed away on November 6th. His Memorial Service will be held on Thursday, November 15th at 3:30 p.m. in the Auditorium at Jacaranda Trace, 3600 William Penn Way, Venice Florida. Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to one of the following: All Faiths Food Bank, St. Francis Animal Rescue of Venice or Hospital Volunteers of Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Ed very well or for very long, but he made an impact on my life. Thoughts and prayers go to all who loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:34 AM

    I loved Mr Lyman and always hoped he found kind people to accompany him through life after Jane passed away. From reading this site, I feel very comforted that he found a group of friends, and that he was still fortunate to be a writer and get out some of his stories.
    When I knew Ed, he was a highly respected antique dealer in Mamaroneck, NY, He also was a dedicated volunteer to the Elmsford Animal Shelter in NY. I admired the peaceful and loving way he lived his life. I grieved with Jane, Ev and Ed when his son, Danny died and hoped that he had good friends down there in FL after he lost his wife and Jane. I feel so much better knowing that right up to the end, he was functioning and had friends like the ones he made in your writers group. I hope to find something like this for my 92-year-old-dad up here in White Plains, as he also has plenty of stories to tell. Paula Piekos

    ReplyDelete