Schedule and Location

Our group meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the Nokomis Fire Station. From Sarasota or North, proceed a few blocks south of Albee Road on US 41 (past Matthews-Currie Ford) to Pavonia Road. Turn right (West, toward the bay) at the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. From the south on US 41, we are two blocks north of Dona Bay. Turn left onto Pavonia Road at the flashing yellow caution light. At the Fire Station, drive to the fire hall's far end or west side; PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOORS! We gather in the training room at the far end of the complex for a meet and greet at 6:00 pm but call the Meeting to order at 6:30 pm and take a Ten-minute break at around 7:50 pm. Meeting Adjourns: 9:00 pm

Saturday, December 01, 2012

Ed Lyman

A message from Russ Heitz:
 
I had a phone call this afternoon from our newly promoted Writer Emeritus, Irv Newman. (Irv is just a few years younger than Ed Lyman was).  Irv called me mainly about Ed Lyman, asking if we as a group have in any way memorialized Ed since his passing.  When I said we hadn't done anything "official" and the Herald-Tribune's obit of him was minimal, he suggested we do something as a group.  His idea was this.
 
Whoever in our group wants to, should write a brief (a couple lines, or more) testimony about his/her own personal impressions or feelings about Ed.  (This would be strictly optional, of course, not mandatory since some of the newer attendees didn't know Ed very well.)  We gather the submissions at the December 5th meeting (or via email for those who won't be at the meeting--they can email them to either you or me.)  We gather them at the December 5th  meeting, give them to me, and then I'll assemble them into some sort of little "album" that we would then distribute during the Xmas party on Dec. 19.  I have a photo of Ed that I should be able to use on the "cover" of our "I Remember Ed Lyman" album.  Irv Newman already wrote a tribute to Ed and he's going to mail it to me.  I thought I'd place Irv's little tribute as the opening page of the album.
 
Let me know what you think of the idea.  As I said, once we have everyone's written remembrances I'll be glad to assemble them into some kind of collection that we could pass out to everyone at the Dec. 19th meeting -- a sort of Xmas present to all of us from Ed.  But we'd have to have all the submissions to me by the Dec. 5th meeting.
 
If you agree with Irv's idea you could post something on the blog and/or send an e mail to everyone on our list.  I will mail a copy of the published album/collection to Irv Newman since it was his idea.
 
What say you?
 
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment