Schedule and Location

Our group meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the Nokomis Fire Station. From Sarasota or North, proceed a few blocks south of Albee Road on US 41 (past Matthews-Currie Ford) to Pavonia Road. Turn right (West, toward the bay) at the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. From the south on US 41, we are two blocks north of Dona Bay. Turn left onto Pavonia Road at the flashing yellow caution light. At the Fire Station, drive to the fire hall's far end or west side; PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOORS! We gather in the training room at the far end of the complex for a meet and greet at 6:00 pm but call the Meeting to order at 6:30 pm and take a Ten-minute break at around 7:50 pm. Meeting Adjourns: 9:00 pm

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Answer to the call

   Two days ago I put out a call for writing to post on the blog. I received three immediate replies.

Don Westerfield gave me two entries, both short - flash fiction pieces. He invites critique and suggestions. Read The Affair and The Cafe as follows. Let us see your replies.


Ian Schagen sent a timely piece, In the Time of Coronavirus. Read and enjoy it.

Lois Stern challenges the group with her premature departure for New York. Stay safe, everybody.

THE AFFAIR
Don Westerfield Sr.

No doubt the way it ended was the easiest way for her.
abrupt, unfeeling, without anger, just a message on his phone, it left him wondering, and at a loss as to why, but he guessed at the why, she had no future with him, and she needed a future. He said he understood, but I know he ached at the parting.

The months had drifted, as he had drifted, aimlessly it seemed. I told him affairs are always doomed before they begin, but he didn’t listen. His lasted longer than it should have because he fell in love with her, and he knew better too; this was not his first affair.

She certainly knew how to make him feel young again, she stoked the warm embers inside of him that grew into a fire. Of course, it was an unlikely pairing from the beginning, she was June, he was October, his Autumn years were waning, hers was at her Summer’s peak, 

I wish she had told him the why face to face though, even knowing it would be painful. I want to believe she was only trying to spare him the hurt. That’s when his drinking started, and his life fell apart. They say all things must end in truth, well it wasn’t just the bullet that killed him, I think when she took back her love, she also took back his youth. 





THE CAFÉ

Don Westerfield Sr.

  Her fragrance and the rustle of her dress brings my head up out of the newspaper. Completely forgetting the crossword puzzle I’m working on; I watch her take a seat a few tables away. I guess her to be in her middle to late forties radiating beauty and a self-assurance few women her age would possess. She seems to know she has my attention for her lips break into a slight smile as she gives a furtive glance in my direction.
  I feign attention to my paper as she gives the waitress an order, but I watch her every move, imagining myself sitting across from her. My mind races with anticipation of maybe touching, caressing or even loving her. If only I was bold enough to go over and make my acquaintance.
  Then her gaze lifts and her eyes look directly into mine as if she is reading my thoughts and saying, “come to me.” I push back from the table and rise from my chair, just as a figure comes between us. I see him bend down and kiss her cheek. She eagerly grabs his hand and pulls him to his seat. I quickly lower myself back to my paper and wonder almost out loud what the answer to eighteen down might be.



In The Time of Coronavirus

United in self-isolation
Millions in every nation
Join together in separation.

Those with a conscience, those with a heart
Can help each other, for a start,
To keep people safe by staying apart.

We’re in this together, wherever we are
United aloneness, both near and afar
All of us living on this spinning star.

In the time of the plague, kings and lords hid inside
With others kept out, and many then died
With nowhere to go, and nowhere to hide.

Now things are better: we each have a hole
That we can hide in, keep down the death toll
Waiting in hope for the good times to roll.

And while we’re apart, we’re connecting with others
Family and friends, aunts, sisters and brothers
May even have time to make calls to their mothers!

Ian


Now I thought I'd throw out this challenge to the group. The next Tales2Inspire theme is SAYING GOODBYE. I don't want a bunch of tear-jerking stories - there are many scenarios in life where we say goodbye to one situation or person, and start anew. How many such ideas can the group come up with - individually and collectively. Who knows, some might be so clever that they would like to submit a story for the next edition.

I hope you all remain healthy and that this latest scare is just that, more bark than bite.

Hugs,

Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment