Schedule and Location

Our group meets on the first and third Wednesday of each month at the Nokomis Fire Station. From Sarasota or North, proceed a few blocks south of Albee Road on US 41 (past Matthews-Currie Ford) to Pavonia Road. Turn right (West, toward the bay) at the Fire Station's flashing yellow caution traffic light. From the south on US 41, we are two blocks north of Dona Bay. Turn left onto Pavonia Road at the flashing yellow caution light. At the Fire Station, drive to the fire hall's far end or west side; PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DOORS! We gather in the training room at the far end of the complex for a meet and greet at 6:00 pm but call the Meeting to order at 6:30 pm and take a Ten-minute break at around 7:50 pm. Meeting Adjourns: 9:00 pm

Monday, July 06, 2020

JULY 1st, 2020


When will COVID go away? It doesn’t look good for the near future. So, I guess we’ll have to “endeavor to persevere” as did Chief Dan George in the movie The Outlaw Josie Wales.



Do you have phrases that hang around in your mind and appear at the most inopportune times? As a writer using these famous, or not so famous, phrases can get you in trouble. The other day I was editing my current endeavor and this phrase popped into my head. Following its usual path, it slid down the nerves and jumped from my fingertips to the keyboard. About 1500 words later, I reread what I’d written, I do that when I seem to lose my concentration and have to find out where my mind has gone. Well anyway, there was this phrase in my manuscript, unintentionally I plagiarized the work of another author. I don’t know if the sin would have been noticed or not, but I found it and fixed the issue. Could I have been in violation of the law, of a willful theft of intellectual property, or maybe just a violation of an unwritten morality that should prevent us from taking an easy way out? I feel the same way about clichés, using them is a lazy writer’s way of expressing themselves when they don’t take the time to think through a problem. Oh well, Nuff said, let’s get on to the Zoom Meeting the other night.



I goofed big time and sent out invitations with the wrong date on them. Our meeting was Wednesday, not Tuesday. Even though I sent a correction, some of our writers had an issue with connecting. Please accept my apologies.



Ernie, Scott, James, Peter, and I welcomed Frank Shima as he joined us for the first time. With time limitations imposed by the program, we had two meetings of 40 minutes each with a short intermission as we changed over.



Have you ever experienced the phenomenon of vanishing notes? I find it happens more when youngsters are visiting than when I’m here with only Betsy to keep me company. This week my notes have faded into the time warp of disorganization as well as a hectic holiday weekend. It’s been a bad time for old-timers. I’ll have to rely on what remains of my memory.



Scott was gracious enough to read a piece he read back in November while I was in Lousiana. I hadn’t heard it and those who did didn’t mind hearing it again. Scott’s work is always worth a second or even more reading. Thanks.



It’s after the Civil War and James Kelly has taken us to the high plains of the Dakota Territories as his saga of the military family continues. James had an interesting dilemma. His story is following the life of a family of soldiers and it was time to bring the son into the spotlight as the main character. How to fall away from the previous character, the father, even with a time-lapse of several years. What method do you think he should choose?



With Constantine on the throne, the Christian Church is making strides in the fourth century, but treachery is afoot. Infighting among religious leaders carries over into the government. Ernie takes us inside the battle as powerful Senators join forces against a powerful widow to spur on the opposing leaders, hoping to bring division within the ranks of Constantine’s supporters. A spy in their midst reports to the emperor.



With the discussion, critique, and general enjoyment of listening, the time flew by and we were out of time. Our next Zoom Meeting will be Wednesday, July 15th, at 6:30 PM. We will send out invitations by the 14th. If you have not received an invitation by 6:00 PM on the 14th, send me an urgent email. I’ll get you on the list.



Until next time; KEEP ON WRITING!

No comments:

Post a Comment